Click on the banner to visit our new and improved consumer trends blog!


Friday, October 22, 2010

Gen Y: You had your reasons, and I have mine

I’m cleaning-out the newsletter inbox this morning, and glad I caught this story before deleting yesterday’s Marketing Daily. There was a story about some research by Levi’s designed to better understand Gen Y. Click here to read the piece.

Implications: Maybe we should stop calling it Gen Y, and start calling it “Gen Why.” Because this is a cohort that seems to do very little with the justification that, “this is the way people have always done it.” They seem to want a personally relevant reason for every decision they make and action they take. Not why something has been important for years and years… but why it is relevant now.

(This group is different. Sound like a group of folks who came of age in the 60’s-70’s?)

Mike Anderson

1 comment:

  1. Mike -
    Really interesting research. It's tough to watch that no-plan lifestyle from my "hard-wired baby-boomer's life-plan" perspective. But I also see it as a freedom they are allowing themselves that may be less stressful than my lifestyle. I shared the article with my three Gen-Y daughters and brother in-law who is a women's Docker's designer.

    ReplyDelete