Click on the banner to visit our new and improved consumer trends blog!


Thursday, January 6, 2011

Starbucks to launch new logo

According to a story in today’s Media Post Marketing Daily, a new logo from Starbucks will exclude the name of the company. The move is intended to evolve the visual representation of the company as it moves into international market spaces, and as its product offerings go beyond coffee. Click here to see the story.

Implications: I’m not sure I understand what marketing problem this really solves for the company, so this will be interesting to watch. I would think a translation of the company name would be a more logical solution for the international issue. And if the Starbucks name is sufficiently synonymous with “coffee,” I’m not sure that prohibits the company from adding to its menu. (Dunkin’ Donuts successfully sells more than donuts and more than coffee to dunk them in.)

It seems to me a brand that stands for something (even if it’s coffee) is better than a logo that stands for nothing. But that’s just my opinion. Of course, I haven't seen the research that led to this move.

Stay tuned.

Mike Anderson

No comments:

Post a Comment